Monday, March 14, 2011

Smithfield, Kentucky

Recently, I had the pleasure of sitting down for a luncheon for pastors in Henry County at Our Best Restaurant in Smithfield, KY. The food was very good, and the prices were reasonable. I highly recommend a visit. The restaurant is locally owned and operated, and it is such the rare scene of a community restaurant in a rural area.

While entering the restaurant, immediately my attention was drawn to the abandoned mill across the street. This is an old flour mill, and at the beginning of the 20th Century, was considered the best flour mill in Kentucky. I am going to dig around town a little in the not so distant future and post a more in depth article. A few things to consider as a teaser until then: (1) there was an old general store in town, I will get pictures inside and out if I am able to find the owner. (2) I am going to find out who the current owner of the mill is, and see if I cannot get inside for some good shots. (3) I have unearthed some documents on the history of the town that a college may have existed in Smithfield. Until then, enjoy some grub at Our Best and these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment